Welcome to Holy Rosary Church! Private: Forums A Catholic View of the World October 2, 2016 – Mary's Perfection

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Roberta Tassani 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Roberta Tassani

The month of October is traditionally dedicated to Mary – particularly under her title of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. She is, of course, the greatest of all saints. If anyone has fulfilled her son’s command to “be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect,” (Matthew 5:48) it would be she. She can give us a picture of what being “perfect” looks like in real life.

Whole books can be written on Mary, but two features jump out to me. First, she commits herself based on her trust in God rather than confidence in her abilities or likelihood of success. “I am the handmaid of the Lord.” And second, she never tries to go it alone. Her first action is to collaborate with her cousin Elizabeth. (See Luke 1:26-56)

This perfection may actually be harder than trying to achieve an ideal goal. I put forth my best efforts without guarantee of satisfaction in my accomplishment, because it’s not my accomplishment alone, and the outcome belongs to God. My reward is the knowledge that God uses my work for a greater good than I can imagine – and that takes faith, because I may not see it in my lifetime. Like all of God’s gifts, it will only be completely fulfilled in Heaven.

How hard is it for me to collaborate with God? Can Mary, the saints, or friends from Church help?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.